Monday, November 06, 2006

Anonymity is back in style...?

Recently I stumbled upon a website called Cindy Chavez.net. I googled her and found the site as the 8th highest ranked site! When I took a look at it, it was typical Reed propaganda. I'm not going to bash their site without providing a link so here it is: http://www.cindychavez.net. I do appreciate the reciprocal courtesy that they provided by posting our link as well.

The part that bothers me is that they coopted Cindy's name in an attempt to confuse voters. A very common internet technique is called "domain-squatting". Basically someone takes a domain name that they know websurfers will accidentally stumble upon. In the corporate world, they hold the name hostage until their price is met. In the political world, they keep it because the number of accidental hits they get is huge. I think it's disingenuous to call it "cindychavez.net" and give readers the impression that it's a Cindy Chavez site.

Another curiosity: where are all the bloggers criticizing us for being anonymous blasting them on their site? Where's the article in the Metro or on SV411 questioning their legitimacy for not revealing who they are? Maybe anonymity is... back in style!

Unlike our free blog, cindychavez.net costs money to run. Someone dedicated the time and cash to make a website that deceives its readers. I sure hope that Chuck's campaign is not behind the site: if they are and pretend not to be, they could be in violation of municipal election law.

I asked a computer science buddy about the site. He said "The site is run by the whois database. The whois database information is meant to protect the identity of the registrant. The company is in Bellevue, WA 98007."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home